Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Directions: In the blank beside each sentence, indicate whether that sentence contains a dangling modifier (DM) or a
misplaced modifier (MM). Then rewrite the sentence to correct it. Check the answers by using the key below.
Because rewritten sentences will vary, have a writing counselor check your new sentences for you.
Examples:
a. At the age of six, my mother sang hymns to me. DM
 Correction: When I was six, my mother sang hymns to me.
b. We were told at midnight the concert would begin. MM
Correction: We were told the concert would begin at midnight.

1. The car on the bridge which is green is mine. MM
My car on the bridge is green.

2. Expecting confusion, our plans were made. DM
We were expecting confusion, after our plans were made.

3. Feeling hot, sweaters were taken off.MM
Sweaters were taken off, after feeling hot.

4. I showed my dog to the veterinarian with the fleas. MM
I showed my dog with fleas, to the veterinarian

5. Larry told me he was getting married that afternoon at night. DM
Larry told me he was getting married that afternoon.

6. This typewriter is used by a secretary with a wide carriage. MM
This typewriter with a wide carriage, is used by a secretary.

7. Swimming out into the sea, the current grew stronger. MM
The current grew stronger, swimming out to sea.

8. Walking along the bridge, a ship suddenly appeared.MM
A ship suddenly appeared, walking along the bridge.

9. The Honda was stalled on the road out of oil. DM
Out of oil, the Honda stalled on the road.

10. He kept a black book of all the girls he had dated in his desk. MM
In his desk, he kept a black book of all the girls he dated.

11. On entering the room, the messages are easily seen.MM
The messages are easily seen entering the room.

12. While at the park, the sun shone brightly on the sunbathers. MM
The sun shone brightly on sunbathers while at the park.

13. Mary should jump at whatever is demanded quickly. DM
Whatever is demanded quickly, mary should jump at it.
14. He kept all his medicine in the medicine cabinet that had been prescribed for him.MM
He kept all his medicine that had been prescribed to him, in the medicine cabinet.

15. When only a baby, Mom took me scuba diving.DM
When I was a baby, my mom took me scuba diving.

MISPLACED MODIFIERS WORKSHEET
Write "C" if the modifier is correctly placed. Write "MM" if it is misplaced. Then, in the "MM" sentences, circle the
modifier and draw an arrow to show where it should go.
1. The man(...) was stopped for speeding (in the blue sweater.)MM
2. I almost saw the whole movie, but I fell asleep around midnight. c
3.(.....) Joe promised to mow the lawn (running out the door.)MM
4. The initials were those of the lovers carved on the tree. C
5. There are only two parking spaces left in the lot.C
6. Every four hours the doctor told him to take a pill.C
7.(.....) Sitting on the porch, (I smoked my last cigarette).MM
8. The woman(....) walked toward us (wearing the feather hat)MM.
9.(....) The jet crashed into a cliff (carrying 155 passengers.)MM
10. I hardly ate any breakfast.C
11. (....)I watched the mechanic fix the car (with admiration).MM
12. I earn(....) fifty dollars a week (scarcely.)MM
13.(....) Reaching into the cupboard, (I found the bag of cookies.)MM
14. We borrowed a mower(....) from a neighbor (that was broken).MM
15.(......) Climbing up the telephone pole, (we saw a squirrel.)MM
16. Mel,(....) running rapidly, (disappeared around the bend)MM.
17. The cat was rescued(......) after the building had been set on fire (by a fireman.)MM
18. We've almost found all the pieces to the puzzle. C?
19. She vowed(....) on her birthday (to go on a diet.)MM
20. We(...) need gas (badly.)
DANGLING MODIFIERS WORKSHEET
Draw one line under the dangling modifier in each of the following sentences.
1.( Driving in heavy traffic), my head started to ache.
2. (Fishing for trout), our boat tipped over.
3. (Crossing the border,) my bags were searched.
4.( Searching my wallet), my driver's license was found.
5.( A shovel was used), building the sand castle.
Write "DM" if the modifier is dangling or "C" if it has a subject to refer to and the sentence is correct.
Underline the subject.
1. Chasing his sister, (Billy) fell and bruised his knee. DM
2. Feeling nervous, (nails) were bitten.DM
3. Running scared, the( cat) climbed up the tree. C
4. Laughing hysterically, the( joke) was repeated.C
5. Slipping on the ice, (her leg) was broken. DM
In all of the following sentences, there are modifiers that do not apply clearly to the word they modify.
Underline the subject and rewrite the sentence, making the modifier apply clearly to the word it modifies. If
there is no subject, supply an appropriate one. Please have a writing counselor check the remaining exercises.
1. Reaching the finals, (the game) was won by the Tigers.
.The game was won by the Tigers, in the finals.
2. Playing skillfully, (a touchdown) was made by the home team.
.A touchdown was made by the home team playing skillfully.
3. Raising his hand, the question was answered by Joe.
.Joe, raising his hand, answered the question.
4. Planting vegetables, her knees got dirty.
.Her knees got dirty planting vegetables.
5. Speaking for the community, the issue was raised by Mrs. Santos.
. The issue was raised by Mr. Santos when speaking for the community.
Correct the following sentences by changing the dangling modifier into a dependent clause. Rewrite the entire
sentence in the space provided.
1. Fooling around, the lamps got broken.
 When we were fooling around, the lamps got broken.
2. Dashing through the snow, a stone upset the sleigh.
.A stone upset the snow while we were dashing through the snow.
3. Driving home, our car got a flat tire.
.Our car got a flat tire, while we were driving home.
4. Waiting for my friend, the weather turned bad.
.While I was waiting for my friend the weather turned bad.
5. Taking out the garbage, snow started to fall.
.The snow started to fall while he was taking out the garbage.
Complete these sentences.
1. Since moving to Nebraska, we have all been really homesick.
2. Before putting on a show, she made sure her ballet slippers were tied to perfection.
3. While waiting for the Sears man, I found what I needed by myself.
4. By having the oil filter changed, my car's performance has improved greatly
5. On hearing about your divorce, I have been needing to talk to you about something.
Complete these sentences.
1. To appreciate the music, I search YouTube 3 hours a day to discover new inspiring artists.
2. To get a raise, I make sure I am putting one hundred percent effort in anything I do.
3. To have a successful barbecue, my dad never forgets to bring the beer!
4. To get to know people, I like spending time out of work or school.
5. To understand the stock market, I don't pay any attention to it.

3 comments:

  1. MasterCeme, Agen CEME IDNPLAY Terpercaya di INDONESIA
    masterceme.com
    HOT PROMO :
    - THR akhir Tahun 2019
    - Referral 20%
    - Cashback 0.3%
    - Bonus Deposit Harian 5.000 / hari

    Link Alternatif :
    masterceme.info
    masterceme.net

    WA: +85578968600
    Line : Masterceme

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so muchπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜„πŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete